Sunday, June 13, 2010

Labor and Delivery

On Wednesday I had my first weekly doctor's appointment.  They did the exam and I am 60% effaced and 1 cm dilated.  Of course, this does not mean the baby is about to make its arrival.  It just means I am progressing as I should.

I have been having contractions for the past couple of weeks, but nothing that was very concerning.  I might have a couple a day, but they weren't hurting, just slightly uncomfortable.  However, after my exam on Wednesday I was on the way home and I began to notice that I was having more and more contractions.  I had at least 4 in the 15-20 minute drive home from the hospital.  It was five o'clock and I knew the office was closed, but I figured I should call the doctor just to make sure.  She had mentioned earlier that day, that if I had 3-5 contractions in an hour to call.  This pregnancy thing is new to me, so then I began to doubt myself if I was even having contractions at all.  So, just to be on the safe side, I call and leave a message and the on call doctor in my practice calls me back right away.  I explain the situation and without any hesitation she tells me to come on in to Labor and Delivery. 

I am not prepared for this.  I do not have my bag packed.  We just left the hospital.  Will this be the day we meet our little one? So many things are running through my mind. 

So we load up in the car and head off to Labor and Delivery.  Once we arrive they put my in a room, hook me up to the monitors to monitor the baby and my contractions. 

The nurse comes back in 30 minutes and tells me she's been watching me and I have had six contractions in the past 30 minutes.  The doctor has ordered her to give me a shot to slow them down and eventually stop them.  However, the shot will make your heart race and feel sort of loopy.  She continues to monitor me for another 30 minutes to make sure the shot works, then comes back because the doctor wants a urine analysis.  This takes another 45 minutes to come back. 

Finally after four episodes of Reba the nurse comes in with my discharge papers.  Yay!  We are free to go home. 

The nurse did tell us that sometimes after being examined your cervix can become irritated and cause you to have contractions.  I did not know this, but I am thankful Baby Roden didn't come Wednesday night.  I know he/she will make his/her arrival when the time is right.  We have had a practice course in going to Labor and Delivery though.  I think we will be well prepared.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Sounds like it's getting closer!!! You're going to do great!!! Better get that bag packed!

SaxMitch said...

WOW! It will be here before you know it.