So... it all started when Spencer's dad found out he needed to go and pick up some of his trucks in Houston, Texas. He needed three drivers. I, of course did not want to drive back, but I thought about going. Needless to say...I bought myself a plane ticket and off I went with Spencer, his dad, and Mike (Lauren's dad) to Houston. I haven't been anywhere all summer because of graduate school so I was ready to go somewhere, even if it meant driving a truck back, or actually riding.
We arrive at the airport and pick up our boarding passes and proceed through security. For some reason on Saturday the security level was "high." This made me nervous. Especially considering this is only my fourth time (in my life) to fly. As we are going through security I place my purse in the plastic container and it goes down the conveyer belt. Well.....then I notice the security guard is looking at me very peculiar. He takes my bag from the container and asks if this belongs to me. Of course I say, "Yes," and he asks me to come with him. This is where I begin to get very nervous. He repeats some memorized phrase about going through my belongings and I am not to touch anything as he pulls them out and yada, yada, yada....He pulls out my Pepto Bismol bottle and tells me that it is supposed to be in a plastic Ziploc bag, and I should have pulled it out of my purse and laid it in the bucket beside it and there wouldn't have been any question. I apologize and get my purse and head down the concourse to meet everyone else. You better believe I learned my lesson though. I had no idea it was even in there. It's just there. Oh well, LESSON LEARNED!!!
So...we board the plane and off we go to Houston.
These are pictures of us circling Houston preparing to land:
![]()
We also ate lunch at this place called Jack in the Box. The name itself should tell you not to eat there, but my opinion did not really matter. Let's just say, it will be the first and last time I ever eat at a Jack in the Box!
Once we picked up the trucks, we proceeded the 650 miles back to Alabama. However, Spencer and I decided we would detour a little before coming home. We stayed straight on Interstate 10 to Mobile. Originally we thought we would stay in Gulfport or Biloxi, Mississippi, but there really wasn't anything available. So we drove the next 35 miles to Mobile. We found this really nice Renaissance Hotel in the Bay. We stayed in a king suite with a corner view on the 23rd floor. It was awesome. The bed slept so well!!
The view of the shipyard from our hotel room.
So, we got up on Sunday morning and proceeded with our adventure. My dad went to Mobile College now the University of Mobile so I wanted to have a see for myself what it looked like. My mother says I have been there, but I was only 6 months old, so I do not remember. Check it out:
![]()
This is the housing similar to what my dad lived in when he was there, if not the same one.
Then, we proceed up Hwy 43 to come home. We like to travel two lane roads. It gives us the opportunity to see things we otherwise might not have seen. ![]()
We were going to try to visit Gees Bend, but we got lost and it ended up being out of the way. That will be another one of our many Alabama adventures this fall. So, instead of visiting Camden and Gees Bend we decided to get onto Hwy 5 and visit Marion Military Institute and Judson College where Spencer's grandfather and great aunt attended school.
This weekend was quiet an adventure for both of us. We saw many things we have never seen before and traveled many roads we have never traveled. This fall we plan to take small excursions on Saturdays and visit our lovely state. Stay tuned for our next adventure.









2 comments:
Great pictures - looks like you had a fun trip! Spontaneous road trips are the best-I am glad you guys got away for a while! Who knows what they would find in my purse-I need to remember that as well!
Fun adventure. I know the rules for the stuff you can take on a plane. However I had shampoo and pudding taken this summer. They say pudding is a gel. Sure I put poison in it and sealed it up in store packaging. Oh well no snack for me on the plane.
Post a Comment