Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Might Have a Green Thumb

I have been wanting to try my hand at growing plants for a while now.  I just sort of put it off because I didn't exactly know where to begin.  My mom told me she was going to grow tomato plants for the summer so I talked with my parents and Spencer and I have decided to grow our own plants.  I also found packets of seeds at Dollar Tree for $.10.  So I am trying to grow herbs too!  I am attempting to grow parsley, basil, chives, and cilantro.  We are hoping our tomato plants will produce quite a few tomatoes and we can use the cilantro and make homemade salsa. 

home 019  In the coconut liner I am growing a smorgasbord of flowers from the $.10 packet I purchased at the Dollar Tree.  The two planters on the side contain chives and basil, and the three small planters contain cilantro and parsley. 

home 022 These are our four Talladega tomato plants purchased from Lowe's.  We were going to begin with seeds, but felt we had a late start.  These plants are supposed to grow very well in the Alabama heat.

home 020 This is the hosta I bought last year.  I have four of them.  I honestly thought I killed them off, however, after all of the rain this year I slowly began to see a little green coming back.  They were actually still in the plastic containers I bought them in.  So, yesterday on my day off Spencer and I went to Lowe's and purchased three new planters so I could transplant them. 

1 comment:

Cara said...

Can't wait to hear about your little herbs and their growth!!