Monday, February 21, 2011

The Scariest Night of Our Lives...

On Friday afternoon I picked up Sawyer from daycare and met a couple of teacher friends at the park to walk.  Sawyer did a great job and loved every minute of riding in her stroller.  Once we got home I tried to feed her dinner, but she didn't want to eat that much.  She became a little cranky and I checked her temperature.  It was only at 100 so I have her some Tylenol, her bottle, and she went to bed.  Around 12:30am she woke, and I went to check on her.  She had a dirty diaper and still felt warm.  Her temp was about 101, so I gave her some more Tylenol and tried to put her back down.  She wasn't having it.  Spencer came in and got her to go down.  It only lasted about 20 minutes so I went and got her and tried to snuggle with her in our bed.  When she doesn't feel well, she wants to be close to us.  She finally went back to sleep.  Around 4:15am she started squirming again so Spencer just rubbed her belly and put her paci back in her mouth.  Things seemed to be going fine, but then she sort of quick making her normal breathing noises.  We thought she had quit breathing so we turned on the light and I immediately realized she was seizing.  Without any hesitation I called 911.  They lady quickly answered and calmed me down and told me she was most likely seizing because of her fever.  She finally stopped after about a minute and went to sleep.  In about three minutes we had seven firefighters from two different stations in our bedroom.  They check her out, and said the same thing.  They offered to transport her to Children's, but we chose to take her ourselves.  If were to happen again, I think they can just take us.  We might get seen a little more quickly. 

On the way to the ER I called my parents and Spencer's parents to let them know what was going on.  Once at the ER we had to wait for almost two hours before we were seen.  They checked her out and said she was fine, but then they never did any blood work or tests to determine the cause for the fever. They did diagnose her as having a Febrile Seizure.  This left me very unsettled.  I knew she was sick, but not from what.  Once we were discharged we came home and she slept a lot.  My parents came over and Spencer and I took a nap.  When I woke up I checked her temp and it was even higher than before.  I called our pediatricians office and left a message for the nurse.  She told me to alternate Tylenol and Motrin to try to get the fever down, Children's had previously told us not to alternate (so stinkin confusing!!).  We were finally able to get the temp under control, but Sawyer still felt terrible.  The nurse told me to call at 8 am and the doctor on call would see me.  Well, I did and it took more than three hours for them to call me back.  I wasn't happy, but we were able to get in to see him.  He did a flu test on her and it came back POSITIVE!!!   I have never been so happy for her to have the FLU!!!  We had a diagnoses and now I know the reason for the fever and the seizure.  The doctor prescribed Tamiflu and now we are almost 100% better!  We are so thankful for wonderful firefighters, paramedics, and doctors! 

The chances of her having another seizure is greater than someone that hasn't had one.  But, she should be in the clear for the most part.  I am just going to make sure to keep Tylenol in my purse and diaper bag at all times.  We must keep fevers under control.  However, the doctor did say she could have had the seizure at 100 or at 104.  Who knows!!!  All we know is that it was a terrible experience and we are so thankful our little baby girl is on mend! 

 

We love you soooooo much Sawyer!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How scary! I am SO thankful Sawyer is ok, and it was just the flu! Hope she feels better soon!! :)

Naptime Confessions said...

I can't even imagine! I'm so glad she is feeling better.

Cara said...

Sawyer has two very amazing parents! Such a happy little gal, it's hard to even imagine her being so sick. Well wishes and hugs from her gal pal Mary Holland!

SaxMitch said...

That is scary! I'm glad everything is ok.

Lindsay said...

Thank you, friends! She is doing great!

christyfitts said...

Oh my goodness!! That is so scary! We've had some similar experiences, but never seizures! So glad little Sawyer is okay!